Warrior Hall University Library
Phone: (254) 519-5798
Address: 1001 Leadership Place, Killeen, Texas 76549
Directions: Visit TAMUCT's Maps and Directions.
EWCHEC Library Extension
Phone: (512) 759-5930
Address: 1600 Innovation Blvd., Hutto, Texas, 78634
Directions: Visit the EWCHEC webpage.
American Technological University was chartered by the State of Texas in April 1973 and began operation that fall with 260 students. The university was founded by the Central Texas Education Foundation and had a cooperative agreement with Central Texas College (CTC). The university and the college libraries held their combined collections in the Oveta Culp Hobby Memorial Library until July 1, 2012.
The ATU Librarian was initially a part of the college library staff. Carol Taylor was employed in 1975 and was followed by Beth Zeiss (nee Foley) from 1978-1982. Following various institutional organizational changes, the position title became University Librarian. Melinda Guthrie accepted the position in October 1982. She retired on August 31, 2009 as Director of Library Services.
University of Central Texas became the new, state-chartered name in 1989. In August 1999, the private university transformed itself into Tarleton State University System Center, a part of Tarleton State University and the Texas A&M University System. The library in Killeen became one of the divisions of the Tarleton University Libraries, but remained at the Hobby Memorial Library building under a rental and cooperative services agreement. Guthrie, the University Librarian, became a Division Head within the University Libraries.
On May 27, 2009, Texas A&M University–Central Texas (TAMUCT) became one of the newest universities in the Texas A&M University System, and the library became TAMUCT Library Services. Though TAMUCT continued to share resources with CTC at the Hobby Memorial Library, a plan to separate was created. Mark Harris became Director on September 1, 2009, helping to facilitate this process.
A library presence was established at the TAMUCT Fairway Building in January 2010, when limited reference hours were offered for the first time. The Technical Services Department was relocated to Fairway Building in May 2010, and by the end of the year, the library had several collections in both open and closed stacks. A Library Extension, with expanded hours and circulation, opened on September 1, 2010, providing patrons with library services at both Fairway Building and Hobby Memorial Library for the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 school years.
A new Library Extension at Founder's Hall, the inaugural building at 1001 Leadership Place, opened on June 4, 2012. Located on the 4th floor in room 416, this extension is the first library presence at the permanent home of the University.
Shortly after the opening of the new building, the remainder of TAMUCT's library material was moved out of the Hobby Memorial Library on June 22, 23, and 24, 2012. This included about 35,000 books, which moved to the Lending Library at Fairway Building. On July 1, 2012, TAMUCT employees were no longer obligated to staff the Hobby Memorial Library.
On August 27, 2012, TAMUCT opened the Lending Library, housed in the former middle school gym at Fairway Building. The Fairway Building Library Extension was renamed the Reference Library, and became the central service area for TAMUCT Library Services. The Library's first independent catalog, WarriorCat, also debuted in Fall 2012.
TAMUCT received independent accreditation as a stand-alone University in the Texas A&M University System on June 20, 2013. Shortly after, Bridgit McCafferty was named the Director of Library Services. In December 2014, Library Services became the TAMUCT University Library.
With the opening of Warrior Hall in June 2014, the University Library was able to move into its new home, opening on June 16, 2014. The new facility is designed to reflect the needs of TAMUCT students. Features include a group technology space, family study area, and student lounge. The 27,000 square foot facility is located on the first and second floors of the building.